Yesterday marked the beginning of my 5k training for the Yellow 5k on October 2nd. My alarm went off at 5:30am (a 2 months old baby boy I should say!) and as soon as I was done feeding him I couldn't go back to sleep. I got all dressed in my running clothes and waiting anxiously until it was light enough outside to go run. I felt like a kid on the first day of school! I was so nervous! I am extremely competative, mostly with myself! When I set a goal and don't complete it, I get completely disappointed. Earlier in the week I looked up a 5k training program. My first 5k I was running with my Fit Moms group and didn't specifically train for it. Same thing with the 10k I ran last August. The picture of me is when I was running the last .2 miles of the 10k. Do you see the look of pure exhaustion in my face? Thats because I really didn't think I was going to make that last .2 miles!I have a love hate relationship with running. In the beginning I hate it! I always think to myself, why am I doing this? Why can't I just hit up the precor at the gym? But the complete rush I feel after a good run is something I can't re-create with any other exercise.
So, back to my run yesterday morning. The week prior I got in my car and mapped out a 1.5 mile run so that I new exactly how far to go. I have to do this three times the first week. Then each week I gradually work up .5miles until week four, where I should (and will!) complete the 3.1 mile run. Let me just tell you, I am sore in places I haven't been sore since before I had Avery. The run was definately hard, I wanted to give up so many times!! But I kept making deals with myself until I finally reached our house! And it was the best feeling EVER!!
P.S. I am hoping to complete the 10k November 7 but if I feel I am not ready, I will do another 5k and hopefully do a 10k at the beginning of the year. My ultimate goal is to run a half marathon after I am done breast feeding! Wish me luck!
YOU GO GIRL!!! I am so impressed with anyone who is motivated enough to run! Running sucks so much, that I probably would need a very specific reason, like training for a race, or my life depended on it (though the training reason is questionable)! I love that you are doing this...good luck in your training :)
ReplyDeleteJessica, you are such an inspiration!! I can NEVER keep at running. I always go until I start to see a change in my body and then quit. SO, dumb right? I have a question. On this program, do you take walking breaks or are you running for the whole mile and a half?
ReplyDelete